First off let me say I hope everyone out there is stay safe and warm. It is hard when bad weather hits and you have sick babies. Also, thank you for your continued prayers for Annabel.
WHY do we feel bad when we speak up for our babies and cause other to be angry with us? This was my experience today. I hate sometimes who I become when I feel I have to do this for Annabel. I do admit that sometimes I am wrong, as I was earlier this week with one of Annabel's school therapist. I did have to admit I was sorry, even though embarrassing, but once it was done I felt better. None of us are right all the time. Actually probably most of the time I am not right.
But today the hospital called and told us that Annabel's urine grew three different bacterias. We always grow one and we treat if needed. I realize there are two schools of thought on UTI's and the over use of antibiotics. If you are someone who has these experiences please comment and tell me how you handle the infections and the possible over use of the antibiotics.
We have two different thoughts here, and locally our sweet pediatrician, Dr. B gets the results and depending on the numbers, bacteria, or whatever she sometimes prescribes the antibiotic. She is very aware of the overgrowth situation but she is listening and seeing Annabel and knows she needs some relief. All the while keeping in mind the central line issues. On the other hand our urologist in Houston basically wants us to ignore the UTI's until almost septic. There is such a fine line with Annabel. There isn't much warning when we are crossing that line. It is a little more critical now that we have the central line. Before we had more time to play around but not as of late. Let me also say I understand the urologist thinking about over treating with antibiotics and the overgrowth. He doesn't see Annabel that often unless well for checkups due to the 2 hour drive which isn't fun when ill.
So as I said the hospital called today to give the results. Her bacterias are enterococcus faecium, enterobacter cloacae and serratia marcescens. Tuesday Dr. B prescribed Supprax until the culture returned and showed sensitivities. After the hospital called and gave me the results since these were done in the ER, I waited a couple hours and phoned my pediatrician office. I love their office and everyone involved. But after a call there and speaking with someone that I had to be more than aggresive with, which left me feeling so bad. I hung up very rudely after being told everyone else was waiting on their results also. I was told they have 48 hours after receiving the results to call the patients and give results. The hard part was that I already knew the results and looking at Annabel knew that the antibiotic she was on wasn't doing what it should fast enough. She wasn't worse she just was very tired and still having her painful spells.
Soon after this another nurse who we are use to dealing with called back and the doctor had looked at it and was calling in another antibiotic to go along with the first one due to the bacterias.
She said that he was calling in furodantin and because I had already had an issue with the other nurse I didn't feel I could share that this antibiotic make her very sick. She has been on this in the past but basically in the last year I just say we are "allergic" to it. She vomits and can become so sick from it. No, I don't know if she is truly allergic or not but it is the only one she cannot take and becomes so much sicker just trying to finish the 10days of it. Well this afternoon after starting it (within 30 minutes) the nurse brought her to me and said she was becoming very pale and not doing well. She wasn't really wanting to play, laugh, but only lay on my chest. Within about 15 minutes she was vomiting and doing poorly. The nurse said that we can't give this to her since it makes her so sick that quickly. Each time we do give the antibiotic it takes less and less days for her to become sick. I have decided from now on for Annabel's sake I WILL say she is ALLERGIC to furodantin.
Of course, I will call tomorrow and speak with Dr. B's nurse and explain that she can't take the antibiotic and she will understand. What I am most upset about is that I questioned myself because someone else didn't understand Annabel and her case. I have to remember that I know her better than anyone else, that she doesn't have a voice. I felt I let her down tonight because I let someone else make me doubt myself. I know other feel this way, so I am not the only one. Wow, what a long rambling post all to say "How do you treat your childs infections? Do you use the antibiotic or do you withhold them?
We should hear tomorrow about the blood cultures from the central line. I truly don't believe she is looking sick enough to have it in her line.